Numbers contains the handshapes and signs used to create numbers in American Sign Language.
Rules for ASL numbers:
- If you are indicating a number alone, then the:
- Palm faces the body for the numbers 1-5
- Palm faces away from the body for the numbers 6-10
- Palm faces the body for the numbers 11-15
- Palm faces away from the body for the numbers 16-19
- Numbers 20 and 21 are always signed in a certain way
- Numbers 22-100 are signed with the palm facing outward
- If you are indicating quantity, then the palm always faces away from the body.
To learn more about American Sign Language numbers click on the desired section: Handshapes contains close-ups of individual numbers, Counting demonstrates how to count in signing, while Examples shows several examples of signing numbers.